Group Leader and Professor of Quantitative Earth Observation
B.Sc., (Physics), University of Bristol, 1995
D.Phil., (Physics), University of Oxford, 1998
Professor (full and tenured), University of Edinburgh, 2009-
University Lecturer, University of Edinburgh, 2006-2009
University Research Fellow, University of Leeds, 2005-2006
Postdoc/Research Associate, Harvard University, 1999-2005
Awards and Prizes
Royal Society-Wolfson Research Merit Award holder (2013-2018).
Zeldovich Medal, COSPAR and the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2010.
Philip Leverhulme Prize recipient, 2008.
Honorary Visiting Positions
Visiting Scholar, University of Washington in Seattle, Summer 2014.
Visiting Researcher, Microsoft Research (2011-2012).
Visiting Research Scientist, NCAR, USA, (2006-2009).
Honorary Fellow, School of GeoSciences, University of Edinburgh, (2005-2006).
Current Professional Activities
Principal Investigator: NERC NCEO
Science team: Japanese GOSAT, NASA ACOS, NASA OCO-2
Steering Committee: iLEAPS, UK IGBP, ESA Living Planet 2013
Editorial Advisory Board: Atmospheric Environment, Elementa
University of Edinburgh
- EASC10098: Earth's Atmospheric Composition (2014-- ). Freely available course material.
- GESC08002: Earth Modelling and Prediction (2008--2014). Lectures now written as a book (Amazon, Wiley from May 2014).
- Atmospheric radiative transfer, M.Sc. in Remote Sensing and Image Processing (2007-2008).
- Contemporary issues in Earth Observation (guest lecture, 2008 and 2009).
- Temporary/guest lecturer, Atmospheric Chemistry EPS 133 (2003, 2004).
University of Oxford
- Graduate tutor, General Physics for Earth Sciences (1995-1996).
- Tutor (regular), Mathematics and Physics, Greene's Tutorial College, Oxford (1996-1999).
- Tutor (regular and Easter crammer), Mathematics and Physics, Cherwell Tutorial College, Oxford (1996-1999).